I’m looking forward to celebrating Halloween in the children’s hospital! It’s definitely the most excited I’ve ever been for Halloween. I have my costume planned out and I’m just putting the finishing touches on it.
One of the best part of working with kids is being able to let out my inner kid on a daily basis. In my humble opinion, pediatricians are the best dressers in the hospital. Most of us don’t wear white coats regularly – too intimidating! Instead it’s brightly colored blouses and pretty printed dresses with playful accessories.
If you’re looking for a dish to share at work or school, these easy frosted Halloween brownies are perfect! They are definitely colorful and well-dressed, just like the pediatric residents! If you’re in a hurry, you can use brownie mix and canned frosting to cut down on prep time. I thought about doing a whole rainbow assortment of colors, but I used black and orange to keep it seasonal. Just an excuse to make them again, I suppose…
- A Batch of Your Favorite Brownies (uncut)
- A Batch of Your Favorite Vanilla Frosting
- Food Coloring
- Piping Bags
- Piping Tips and Couplers
- Separate your frosting into as many separate bowls as you need for colors you plan to use.
- Add food coloring to your frosting until you reach your desired color.
- Attach a piping tip to each piping bag using a coupler. Fill each bag with frosting.
- Pipe the frosting in thick lines onto your brownie.
- Using a flat object such as a spatula or icing smoother , gently flatten the lines together. Wipe clean each time you start over.
- Use a toothpick to drag through the frosting perpendicular to your piped lines, creating the design of your choice!
The process, in photos: