Borscht – Healthy Beet Soup
Borscht is a healthy beet soup recipe with Ukrainian origins. This version is bright in taste & color. Vegetarian and gluten-free, it’s great hot or cold.
- Author: Kelly Egan
- Prep Time: 3 hours
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Total Time: 4 hours 30 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- 4 pounds purple beets (with tops) 45-60 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 leeks, sliced into thin rounds
- 1 red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tsp whole caraway, toasted
- 2 cooking apples (fuji, pink lady, etc), peeled then cut into a medium dice
- Few sprigs of thyme
- 4 ribs celery, small dice
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 pound winter greens (kale, arugula, spinach, etc), roughly chopped into bite
- sized pieces
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- Creme fraiche, dill sprigs, chopped chives for garnish
- Cover the beets with water and cook (simmer) until very tender, 45-60 minutes. Strain the cooking liquid and reserve.
- Once cool enough to touch, peel the beets and cut into bite-sized pieces/cubes.
- While the beets are cooking, in a large pot, sweat the leeks and red onion in olive oil until tender, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add the celery, garlic, thyme and bay leaves, sweat an additional 5 minutes.
- Add the reserved beet juice, and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Add the beets, chopped greens, and apples and cook an additional 15 minutes.
- Add the cider vinegar to taste (you need more or less than the 1/2 cup). This acid will brighten the soup. Adjust quantity to your liking.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with creme fraiche, dill sprigs, and chopped chives.
Keywords: Best borscht recipe, healthy beet soup, authentic borscht recipe