Candied Lemon Peel & Dried Lemon Slices
[b]Candied Lemon Peel[/b]
- 2 c. Water
- 1 1/2 c. Sugar, plus extra for finishing
[b]Dried Lemon Slices[/b]
- Lemons, as many as your heart desires
[i]To Make the Candied Lemon Peels[/i]
- To peel the lemons, cut off the thick ends on both sides of your lemon. Make a lengthwise slice and gently remove the peel from the lemon, keeping it in one piece if possible. Flatten your peel on the counter and use a spoon to gently scrape away the bitter pith from the peel.
- Slice the peel into approximately 1/2 inch wide strips.
- Boil the peel in a pan filled with an inch or two of water for approximately 15 minutes to remove the bitterness. Drain.
- Stir the sugar and the water in a medium saucepan on medium high heat until dissolved. Add the lemon slices and simmer covered for 40 minutes.
- Lift the peels out with a fork or slotted spoon and let cool on a wire rack.
- Once cooled, roll the peels in granulated sugar or dip in melted chocolate.
[i]To make the dried lemon slices[/i]
- Slice your lemons into paper thin rounds. To make it easier, you can put them in the fridge for a few hours before slicing.
- Place them on a wire cooling rack, then place this on a baking sheet. Bake at 170F for 4 hours, flipping every hour or so. Once the time is up, turn off the oven and let them sit in the oven overnight to firm up. Store in an airtight container.