Thick Cornmeal Waffles from Brown Sugar Kitchen
This cornmeal waffles recipe from Brown Sugar Kitchen are the best waffles you’ll ever eat! They pair great with fried chicken as they are slightly savory.
- Author: Kelly Egan - A Side of Sweet
- Prep Time: 50 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 minutes
- Total Time: 53 minutes
- Yield: 8 waffles 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Waffle Maker
- Cuisine: Southern
- 1 (¼-ounce) package active dry yeast
- ¾ cup warm water
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp. kosher salt
- 1½ tsp. sugar
- ¾ cup (1½ sticks) melted butter
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- Vegetable oil for greasing waffle iron
- Stir together yeast and water in a small bowl and let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and milk.
- Sift together cornmeal, flour, salt, and sugar in a medium bowl.
- Add yeast mixture to eggs and milk. Whisk in dry ingredients, then butter.
- Cover bowl and refrigerate overnight.
- Stir baking soda into waffle batter.
- Preheat waffle iron and brush lightly with vegetable oil. Cook waffles until golden and cooked through, about 3 minutes. Keep finished waffles warm in an oven in one layer to stay crisp.
Recipe from Tanya Holland of Brown Sugar Kitchen
Keywords: Waffles Recipe, Cornmeal Waffles, Southern Waffles, Brown Sugar Kitchen Waffles