Mac ‘N Cheese Bites Recipe
Your guests will go crazy for this easy mac and cheese bites appetizer recipe made with smooth and creamy Jarlsberg cheese.
- Author: Kelly Egan - A Side of Sweet
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 20-24 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- 1¾ cups (8 ounces) uncooked elbow macaroni
- ¾ cup panko breadcrumbs*
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1¾ cups milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Jarlsberg cheese, divided
- ½ teaspoon mustard
- freshly cracked pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Cook macaroni noodles according to package directions, drain.
- Prepare mini muffin tin by spraying with non-stick cooking spray and dusting with bread crumbs. Leave a layer of breadcrumbs at the bottom of each cup. Preheat oven to 400° Fahrenheit.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir in flour and salt. Stir constantly with a heatproof spatula until the mixture is smooth and starts to bubble.
- Gradually add milk in a steady stream, stirring constantly until the mixture boils and thickens. Stir in 1¾ cup shredded Jarlsberg cheese until smooth. Add the mustard and cracked pepper.
- Pour cheese mixture over cooked macaroni noodles and stir until well mixed.
- Spoon macaroni into prepared mini muffin tins, pressing slightly with the spoon to compress.
- Sprinkle with bread crumbs, then the remaining Jarlsberg cheese.
- Bake 25 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool in pan 10 minutes before removing. Garnish with parsley and enjoy warm.
* You can use regular breadcrumbs in a pinch, but panko breadcrumbs will stay crispier when baking
Keywords: Mac N Cheese Bites, Mac and Cheese, Savory Holiday Appetizer, Jarlsberg Cheese Recipe