How to Make an Affogato
Coffee poured over ice cream? Here’s how to make an affogato – your new favorite dessert + drink in one. This one is topped with homemade honeycomb candy.
Honeycomb Affogato Ingredients
Homemade Honeycomb Candy Ingredients (Makes extra)
- 2 teaspoons neutral cooking oil such as canola or vegetable
- 1/3 cup (125 grams) of golden syrup or corn syrup or (100 grams) of honey
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon (125 grams) of superfine sugar** (regular sugar will work in a pinch)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
How to Make a Honeycomb Affogato
- Scoop ice cream into heat proof mug or bowl.
- Pour espresso over ice cream.
- Top with crumbled honeycomb candy (recipe below).
How to Make Honeycomb Candy:
- Line a small dish with aluminum foil and brush lightly with a neutral oil like canola or vegetable.
- Combine golden syrup (or corn syrup or honey), sugar and water in a medium saucepan. Heat on low, stirring occasionally, until the syrup turns amber and reaches 300° Fahrenheit.
- Remove from heat and stir in baking soda. Take care not to over mix as you will lose the ‘honeycomb’ effect. Mixture will expand and get foamy.
- Spread evenly into prepared pan and let cool.
- Once hardened, remove from pan and break into pieces for serving.
- Honeycomb candy will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for several days. If you leave it out too long at room temperature it will start to dissolve and get sticky.
*I use an infrared thermometer I got at a hardware store. It’s so much easier and more reliable!
** To make your own superfine sugar, pulse granulated sugar in a food processor.
Keywords: Affogato, Drink Recipe, Honeycomb Candy, How to Make Affogato