Easy Rhubarb Quick Bread Recipe
Delightfully tart and perfectly sweet homemade rhubarb bread recipe with a hint of orange zest. This moist quick bread features a crisp sugar top. Also has a secret healthy twist!
- Author: Kelly Egan - A Side of Sweet
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Bread
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted, plus more for greasing the pan
- 1 cup* (200 grams) plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup plain whole milk yogurt
- 1 tablespoon orange zest (about 1 orange)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ¾ cup (223 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups (260 grams) rhubarb cut in 1/4-inch slices (about 4–6 stalks)
- Loaf pan (I used an 8. 5 x 4. 5 x 2.75-inch pan)
- Preheat the oven to 350° Fahrenheit. Butter and flour the loaf pan.
- Mix together the melted butter, 1 cup of sugar, orange zest, and yogurt in a large bowl. Whisk in the eggs.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Toss 1 3/4 cups of rhubarb in the flour mixture a couple of times to coat.
- Fold the rhubarb flour mixture into the egg mixture and mix until combined.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared loaf pan and smooth to level out the top.
- Sprinkle the loaf with 1 tablespoon of sugar. Sprinkle the remaining rhubarb pieces on top.
- Bake for 55-65 minutes until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then run a knife around the edges and remove the loaf from the pan. Let cool at least another 15 to 20 minutes before slicing.
*It is possible to reduce the sugar to 3/4 cup, but in my opinion this significantly detracts from the flavor of the bread.
Keywords: Rhubarb bread, Easy quick bread, rhubarb orange bread, rhubarb quick bread