Delightfully tart and perfectly sweet homemade rhubarb bread recipe with a hint of orange zest. This moist quick bread features a crisp sugar top.
Homemade Rhubarb Bread
Rhubarb is really a highlight of spring and summer baking. If you find yourself with excess rhubarb to use up, I have so many rhubarb recipes! My newest favorite is this amazing Rhubarb Quick Bread that is moist, flavorful, and also beautiful. I’ve even made it a bit healthier by substituting yogurt for some of the butter.
Read on for the BEST rhubarb bread recipe!
Making Rhubarb Orange Bread
There are a few unique things about this bread that make it the best rhubarb bread ever. It has just a hint of orange zest that pair so well with the rhubarb! Tossing the rhubarb in the dry ingredients prevents all the rhubarb pieces from sinking to the bottom of the loaf pan. Thinly-sliced rhubarb keeps the bread from being mushy or soggy. The recipe itself is super straightforward! It will definitely be a hit.
The Best Bread Pan for Quick Bread
I swear by these loaf pans from USA Bakeware. The corrugated sides and bottom enhance nonstick properties and make the pan less likely to warp over time. It also gives better heat distribution and airflow for more even cooking. I also use their cake pans and muffin tins as well. They can’t be beaten!
Vista Alegre Portuguese Porcelain
We did a Vista Alegre factory tour when we were in Ílhavo, Portugal and it was amazing! The tour includes a walk through archived pieces from their entire 200+ year history. The final stop was watching their artists hand-painting the porcelain. I couldn’t resist picking up a few pieces from their Paço Real collection, a collaboration with Palácio Nacional da Ajuda, as a precious souvenir. I will truly treasure them forever.
Green versus Red Rhubarb – What to Pick?
There isn’t any taste variation between green and red rhubarb. I always pick the pinkest rhubarb I can find because it looks the prettiest in rhubarb recipes. If you can’t find pink rhubarb, the green will taste just fine and work perfectly for this rhubarb bread recipe.
Why this is the BEST Rhubarb Bread Recipe:
- It’s the perfect balance of tart and sweet.
- A little orange zest is the perfect complement to the rhubarb.
- It’s super easy to make with no fancy ingredients!
- It can be made 1-2 days in advance
- A sprinkling of sugar gives a perfectly crisp top.
- The recipe is healthier with less butter needed thanks to yogurt.
Thanks so much for reading! For more Sweet in your life, you can find me on Instagram, Pinterest, and YouTube, or subscribe to receive a weekly email with new posts and musings from me.Print
Easy Rhubarb Quick Bread Recipe
Delightfully tart and perfectly sweet homemade rhubarb bread recipe with a hint of orange zest. This moist quick bread features a crisp sugar top. Also has a secret healthy twist!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Bread
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted, plus more for greasing the pan
- 1 cup* (200 grams) plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup plain whole milk yogurt
- 1 tablespoon orange zest (about 1 orange)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ¾ cup (223 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups (260 grams) rhubarb cut in 1/4-inch slices (about 4–6 stalks)
- Loaf pan (I used an 8. 5 x 4. 5 x 2.75-inch pan)
- Preheat the oven to 350° Fahrenheit. Butter and flour the loaf pan.
- Mix together the melted butter, 1 cup of sugar, orange zest, and yogurt in a large bowl. Whisk in the eggs.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Toss 1 3/4 cups of rhubarb in the flour mixture a couple of times to coat.
- Fold the rhubarb flour mixture into the egg mixture and mix until combined.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared loaf pan and smooth to level out the top.
- Sprinkle the loaf with 1 tablespoon of sugar. Sprinkle the remaining rhubarb pieces on top.
- Bake for 55-65 minutes until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then run a knife around the edges and remove the loaf from the pan. Let cool at least another 15 to 20 minutes before slicing.
*It is possible to reduce the sugar to 3/4 cup, but in my opinion this significantly detracts from the flavor of the bread.
Keywords: Rhubarb bread, Easy quick bread, rhubarb orange bread, rhubarb quick bread
Craving this delicious and moist rhubarb bread? Pin this recipe for later:
Here are some other Quick Bread recipes you might enjoy!
Cranberry Orange Quick Bread Recipe:
Susan Campbell says
This bread is so light and fluffy! This was an absolute hit with the family. I used Monk Fruit Sweetener instead of the granulated sugar. No special reason for exchanging them. I kept your measurements the same too. I just happened to have that on hand. And it was really good!