I’m a huge fan of Teva sandals. They are my go anywhere adventure foot wear of choice. I was absolutely over the moon when I found out that they are doing workshops around the country that allow Teva fans to customize their Tevas with everything from embroidery thread to Swarovski crystals. You heard that right – now you can add Swarovski bling to you straps! How cool is that?
For all you San Francisco peeps, there is a DIY Teva workshop in San Francisco this Saturday at Shoe Biz in Noe Valley from 11am to 3pm. I’m partnering with Teva to host the event. If you’re in town, I’d love to see you come out for this awesome event! See the Eventbrite for more information and to register! In addition, all Teva sandals will be 40% off!
If you can’t make the workshop, you can still get in on the fun. This quick and easy upcycled sandal DIY is a spin on the friendship bracelets I’m sure you used to make back in the day. All you need is a pair of sandals and some embroidery thread.
DIY Upcycled Teva Sandals
1. Tie the first color of embroidery thread you want to use onto your sandal. It’s good to have about a yard of thread for each section of the sandals you want to DIY.
2. Flip the knot to the underside of the strap. Pull the thread straight to the left, then lay it over the strap to the right, creating a loop.
3. Pull the loose end of the thread under the strap and through the loop that you just created.
4. Pull the loop through and tighten it. Repeat steps 2-4 as often as you like to cover the strap. Notice that this creates a fun spiral knot pattern as you go (see large photos).
5. To start the next color, tie the remaining colors of embroidery thread onto the first color.
6. Push the knot up so it is hidden underneath the sandal. Keep the color you want to work with next separate. Smooth the short and long ends of the knot underneath the strap as you work so they are hidden by your remaining knots.
7-8. Repeat steps 2-4 as often as you’d like and when you are ready to switch colors, just pull out a new one and continue wrapping up the rest to keep your DIY’d straps neat. when you read the end, just tie a knot, trim and tuck the remaining strands in. To see the steps larger, just click on the above photo.
Thanks so much for reading A Side of Sweet! For more Sweet in your life, you can find me on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook, Bloglovin’, or Twitter, or subscribe to receive a weekly email with new posts (see sidebar).
Thanks to Teva for being an awesome partner for this event. All proceeds benefit Compass Family Services to provide scholarships and employment services for San Franciscans in need.