I’m trying to reduce plastic in my beauty routine because I want to do my part to reduce waste and protect our planet. I’m also committed to choosing products made in a sustainable way with clean ingredients. These small changes really add up! Here are products that I’m using to do just that.
Decreasing Plastic Waste in Your Beauty Routine
The beauty industry is a major contributor to plastic pollution. Every year, billions of plastic bottles, tubes, and other packaging are used to house beauty products. This plastic often ends up in landfills or incinerators, where it releases harmful pollutants into the environment.
Decreasing plastic in your beauty routine is one way to help reduce your impact on the planet. There are many simple steps you can take to make your beauty routine more sustainable, such as choosing products with less packaging, refilling products when possible, and using reusable items instead of disposable ones.
Making small changes to your beauty routine can make a big difference. By choosing to use sustainable beauty products, you can help protect the environment and your own health.
Here are some specific reasons why it’s important to decrease plastic in your beauty routine:
- Plastic pollution is a major environmental problem. Plastic takes hundreds of years to decompose, and it can end up in our oceans, waterways, and landfills. It can also harm wildlife and ecosystems.
- The production of plastic requires the use of fossil fuels, which contribute to climate change.
- The manufacture of plastic products often involves the use of harmful chemicals, which can pollute the air and water.
- When plastic is burned, it releases harmful toxins into the air.
By choosing to use sustainable products, you can help reduce your impact on the environment and your own health.
My Favorite Eco-Friendly Skincare Products
1. Plantmade Kai Washday Duo: This shampoo and conditioner bar duo is formulated to promote improved growth of hair and beard over time. They detox, clarify, condition, and nourish your hair/beard for stronger, healthier strands. The bars are highly concentrated and will last for up to 25 uses. It usually takes 1-2 months to see some improvement, and the most dramatic improvements happen from 6 months onwards. We are also obsessed with their Beard & Scalp Massager which gets rid of dead skin cells and decreases product buildup. It also feels great!
2. Lily + Miel Manuka Honey & Oat Liquid Cleanser: Lily + Miel formulates skincare products with proven effective, safe, and high-quality ingredients. Their products are clean and natural, with vitamins, minerals, natural oils, fruit, nut, and flower extracts. This gentle manuka honey cleanser removes dirt and impurities while soothing and hydrating the skin. Manuka honey is known for its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, and oat. It is a natural soother and cleanser and is packaged in a glass bottle. I also love their overnight mask and cleansing balm.
3. Somebody Electric Daisy Regenerating Face Serum: This power-packed daily face serum contains CBD, Vitamin C, Hyaluronic Acid, and Electric Daisy to stimulate collagen production, regenerate cells, and enrich skin with antioxidants, omegas, vitamins, and peptides. Vitamin C evens out skin tone, while Hyaluronic Acid plumps and dews skin. Plus, the glass bottle and colorful packaging make me happy as soon as I pick it up.
4. Cyberderm Retin + Erase: Retin+Erase uses a new generation of retinoic ester, HPR, which is a potent form of Vitamin A that is gentle on the skin that is packaged in glass bottles. It is the highest allowable concentration of HPR in North America, and it is able to be used daily with no to minimal irritation and dryness. HPR does not need to be converted in the skin to be active, unlike other retinoids such as retinol, retinal palmitate, and retinal. It is developed by a dermatologist and expert scientific panel and is perfect for targeting fine lines and hyperpigmentation.
5. Desesh Whitening Toothpaste Tablets: These awesome whitening toothpaste tablets are made with hydroxyapatite, a natural alternative to fluoride. They have a fresh natural mint flavor and come in a reusable glass jar. Each tablet is pea-sized, so you only need to use one each time you brush. The tablets are liquid-free, so there’s no mess or spills. They are also plastic-free, paraben-free, palm oil-free, vegan, cruelty-free, and made without artificial fragrances or dyes. The company donates 5% of sales to US-based environmental non-profits, and they offer carbon-neutral shipping.
6. ESW Beauty Compostable Eco Glow Skincare Pack: ESW Beauty, known for their fun-loving, eco-friendly, and sustainable sheet masks, is introducing their compostable Eco Glow Skincare Pack just in time for Earth Day. The adorable and compostable pack contains three sheet masks that offer revitalizing, hydrating, and anti-aging benefits, along with a reusable makeup remover pad that helps to reduce waste and environmental impact. This set allows you to pamper your skin while also being kind to the planet.
7. BRIXY Coconut Vanilla Hair Care Duo – Shampoo & Conditioner Bar: BRIXY is a clean hair and body care brand that offers sustainable bars for shampoo, conditioner, and body wash. These bars are good for you and the planet, and they’re perfect for ditching plastic in your shower routine.
8. Ladson’s Avocado Verbena Lotion Bar: This avocado butter bar is made with 100% Ethiopian avocado oil, which is richer and more nourishing than other types of avocado butter. It goes on smoothly and absorbs quickly to leave skin feeling refreshed and moisturized. The verbena essential oil adds a clean scent. Use as a spot treatment at night after cleansing and toning, but before applying serums and creams. So happy to say goodbye to all those big plastic lotion bottles! I also love their Facial Butter Bar and All-Natural Conditioner Bar.
9. Blithe Vital Treatment 5 Energy Roots: Blithe’s 5 Energy Roots Essence is a hydrating and revitalizing essence made with 5 types of roots that provide various skin benefits. It is formaldehyde-free, gluten-free, mineral oil-free, paraben-free, phthalate-free, synthetic fragrance-free, and packaged in a glass bottle. It is also not tested on animals, is hypoallergenic, and is safe for pregnant women. I love starting my skincare routine with this as it has the perfect refreshing texture and feel that creates a great skincare base.
10. Viori Foundation Bundle Shampoo + Conditioner Bars: Viori is an all-natural hair cosmetics brand that makes plastic-free shampoo and conditioner bars. Unlike traditional liquid shampoos, their Longsheng rice shampoo is inspired by the ancient haircare rituals of the Red Yao Tribe. They have saved approximately 12.8 million plastic bottles from ending up in landfills (the equivalent of approximately 255 tons of plastic waste). Viori is natural, 100% vegan, plastic-free, sustainable, cruelty-free, and ethically sourced. I love that not only is there no plastic packaging, their sets also include an eco-friendly bamboo soap dish.
11. Dēpology Dark Spot Correcting N.A.T Serum: Dēpology combines Korean skincare science and philosophy with innovative clinical ingredients to create effective, professional-level products. They encourage people to start using anti-aging treatments early, as K-beauty focuses on prevention and nourishing the skin. This potent serum targets discoloration, age spots, and abnormal pigmentation. It contains tranexamic acid, which blocks pigment production and helps to prevent further hyperpigmentation. For extra vitalized and glowy skin, layer it with their Vitamin C Serum.
12. Bel Essence Anti Aging Face Moisturizer and Severe Dry Skin Relief: Bel Essence is a skincare company that makes effective, natural, and organic products for men and women. The products are affordable, easy to use, and leave skin looking healthy, glowing, and youthful. Bel Essence combines a broad range of natural ingredients to deliver results such as moisturizing, anti-aging, and even skin tone. The products are cruelty-free, made in the US, and free of parabens and sulfates. Bel Essence is a green and vegan skincare solution that limits its use of plastic and sources ingredients from sustainable and responsible companies. Their Intensive Severe Dry Skin Relief Cream instantly rehydrates my stressed skin and it comes in a glass container! It also has a pleasant neutral scent and thick texture. I also love their Prickly Pear and Mango Hydrating Boost Serum and Anti-Aging Firming and Smoothing Eye Cream.
13. Swell Skin Bare Skin Facial Radiance Bar: This plastic-free bar cleanser is designed to deeply cleanse and gently fix redness, acne, inflammation, and uneven tone while moisturizing the skin and removing all makeup. It does this without the use of harsh abrasives or scrubbing. With daily use, it keeps flare-ups at bay, primes and soothes the skin for a bare-faced look, and helps to reduce the appearance of skin discoloration and uneven tone. It also balances the skin’s natural oil levels and is made with moisturizing sea buckthorn and aloe.
Here are some ways to make your beauty routine more eco-friendly:
- Choose sustainable beauty brands. When you’re shopping for beauty products, look for brands that use sustainable ingredients and packaging. There are many great sustainable beauty brands available, so you’re sure to find some that you love.
- Choose products with less packaging. When possible, choose products that come in recyclable or reusable packaging. You can also look for products that come in bulk, which can help you reduce waste.
- Refill products when possible. Many beauty products can be refilled, which is a great way to reduce waste. Look for brands that offer refillable products or ask your local beauty store if they offer refill services.
- Use reusable items instead of disposable ones. Instead of using disposable cotton pads, swabs, and makeup wipes, use reusable ones made from bamboo or cotton. You can also use reusable makeup brushes and sponges.
- Buy less. The less you buy, the less waste you’ll create. Before you buy a new beauty product, ask yourself if you really need it. If you’re not sure, you can always wait and see if you still want it later.
- Compost your beauty products. When you’re finished with a beauty product, check to see if it can be composted. Many beauty products, such as paper-based products and some natural products, can be composted.
- Donate your beauty products. If you have beauty products that you no longer use, donate them to a local shelter or charity. This is a great way to give back to your community and reduce waste.
Making small changes to your beauty routine can make a big difference. By choosing to use sustainable beauty products and practices, you can help protect the environment and your own health.