In honor of Valentine’s Day, I had fun frosting these heart valentine cookies. I whipped up a batch of sugar cookies and some royal icing and got to work. Even though Pat and I don’t do anything for the holiday (we’re just gross and romantic all year round), it’s still fun to bring a batch of pretty heart cookies to the hospital for the staff to eat! Do you have any big plans or traditions tomorrow?
Heart Valentine Cookies Recipe
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 12 Cookies 1x
- Category: Desserts
- Method: No bake
- Cuisine: American
- Make your royal icing by hand mixing 3/4 c. warm water and 5T. meringue powder in your mixing bowl for 30 seconds.
- Add 1 tsp. cream of tartar and mix for another 30 seconds.
- Add 2.25 lbs of powdered sugar and mix with the paddle attachment on slow speed for 10 to 15 minutes or until the icing is thick and glossy.
- Add 1 tsp. vanilla and mix another 30 seconds
- Separate out about 3 cups of icing into another small bowl.
- Thin the icing, a few drops of water at a time until when you run a knife through it, it takes about 10 seconds for the mark to disappear.
- Add the only slightly thinned royal icing to your piping bag and pipe an outline on the cookies.
- Add about 10 more drops of water to the icing in the small bowl and fill another piping bag.
- Use this icing to “flood” your cookies. (Tap them gently so the frosting settles.)
- Use gel icing coloring to create different colors to pipe your designs with. (For this icing, I used a consistency that was about the same as the outlines.)
- Pipe away! (You can use a glass with a wet paper towel in the bottom to hold the bags when you aren’t using them. You can also cover your large bowl of royal icing with a piece of plastic wrap to keep it from drying out while you work.)
P.S. – How cute is the cookie sheet I used? I got it for $1 at St. Vincent de Paul. What a find!
Keywords: Heart shaped valentine cookies recipe, valentine cookies decorating ideas, homemade valentine cookies, easy valentine cookies decorating