Just 10 minutes from Antelope Canyon in Page, AZ is Horseshoe Bend, a gorgeous viewpoint where a bend in the Colorado river looks just like a horseshoe.Just a 10 minute drive from Antelope Canyon, outside of Page, Arizona, is Horseshoe Bend. Horseshoe Bend got its name because the Colorado River winds through Glen Canyon and carves out a horseshoe shape. There is free admission and it’s an easy walk to the viewpoint. There’s no excuse for missing this natural wonder!
When we visited Horseshoe Bend, the classic blue water of the Colorado River was more of a green color, probably from algae? With the combination of the blue sky, it was quite the sight to see.
This is as risky as I get:
Horseshoe Bend Travel Tips
- Parking and admission are FREE!
- It’s a short easy walk to the view-point at Horseshoe Bend – about 15 minutes.
- You don’t need hiking boots, but close toed shoes are a good idea as it’s very sandy.
- Wear a hat and sunscreen. There’s no shade during the walk or once you’re at the view-point.
- There are no railings, so take care when nearing the edge of the overlook!
- If you want to see Horseshoe Bend from a different vantage points, there are local tour companies that do boat tours.
Oh, and don’t forget your selfie stick:
Horseshoe Bend Best Time to Visit
The best time of day to visit Horseshoe Bend is midday or late afternoon. The colors are insane and the entire bend is lit up. If you visit at sunrise or sunset part of the horseshoe is in the shade. Sunset is definitely better than sunrise, if you’re looking for a golden hour shot, but most of the sunset photos you see online are taken with very expensive cameras and have a lot of photoshopping. If you just want an iPhone photo of yourself, you’ll be shadowed and the background will be overexposed. With sunrise the sun is behind you casting huge shadows on the Colorado River.
Getting to Horseshoe Bend
Hwy 89 South
Page, AZ 86040
Headed to Page, Arizona to check out Horseshoe Bend? Don’t forget to visit Antelope Canyon! Antelope Canyon is only a 10 minute drive from Horsehoe Bend.