This creamy butternut squash pasta sauce recipe with freshly made tortellini is like tortellini soup and your favorite pasta recipe combined but even better!The farmer’s market is my favorite place to get recipe inspiration. After all, what better way to learn what’s in season than by asking the farmer who grew it? Choosing the fresh ingredients is way more important than fancy cooking techniques when it comes to making dinner.
Buitoni recently caught my attention when they were doing a demo at the Ferry Building Farmers Market here in San Francisco. Buitoni head chef, Riccardo Landi was using Buitoni freshly made pastas to create an easy dinner using seasonal farmer’s market ingredients. He talked about their 200-year history as a pasta dynasty.
I also added Casa Buitoni to my travel bucket list. This long time home of the Buitoni family in Sansepolcro, Italy now houses a state-of-the-art test kitchen where all Buitoni pasta recipes are created. There, Head Chef Marco Donnini works with a team of researchers, chefs and nutritionists to develop pastas that contain the freshest ingredients inspired by the region.
In just minutes, Chef Riccardo whipped up a meal that was both seasonal and delicious. It inspired me to create my own easy dinner using some of the amazing fall produce that is starting to appear.
I wanted something that was creamy and comforting, but still healthy. Butternut squash cooked and pureed makes a great pasta sauce base. I wanted the pasta to be extra extra saucy – almost like tortellini soup and your favorite pasta recipe combined to make something even better.
Buitoni’s freshly made pasta was the perfect thing to serve with this creamy pasta sauce. I chose three cheese tortellini, but you can use any of their amazing tortellini, ravioli or pappardelle for this recipe. In just minutes you can have freshly made Italian pasta right in your kitchen.
I made a batch of this pasta after a long day of work and after one bite I instantly felt better. You’ll feel better too, when you make dinner at home. I even boxed up the leftovers and took them to lunch the next day. Double the meals for the same effort!
October is National Pasta Month, so what are you waiting for? Hit your local farmer’s market and whip some up for dinner. If you make it, make sure to tag me on social media (@asideofsweet) so I can share in the goodness.
Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce with Freshly Made Pasta
This creamy butternut squash pasta sauce recipe with freshly made tortellini is like tortellini soup and your favorite pasta recipe combined but even better!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Main Dishes
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 T. kosher salt
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 shallots, peeled and sliced
- ½ c. heavy cream
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 18-oz. Buitoni pasta of your choosing (Suggestions: Three cheese tortellini, Spinach & ricotta tortelloni or Parmesan & black pepper ravioli)
- 1/4 c. toasted pine nuts (optional)
- fresh herbs, like oregano, basil or thyme, for serving
- Grated Parmesan or Romano cheese, for serving
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add salt and butternut squash. Cook until butternut squash is fork tender, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add olive oil to a small skillet over medium heat. Sauté the garlic for 30 seconds, until fragrant. Add the shallots and sauté until soft and just slightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- When tender, strain the butternut squash into the bowl of a food processor or blender, reserving 1/2 cup of the pasta water.
- Pulse the cooked butternut squash, shallot mixture and heavy cream until smooth. You may have to do this in two batches. If necessary, thin using reserved pasta water. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Spoon pasta into serving bowl and toss with the butternut squash sauce. Serve with pine nuts (optional), fresh herbs and grated cheese.
Keywords: butternut squash pasta sauce, homemade butternut squash pasta sauce, easy butternut squash pasta sauce recipe, best butternut squash pasta sauce, butternut squash pasta sauce with fresh pasta
Craving this creamy and filling vegetarian butternut squash pasta recipe? Pin it for later!