Chilled Green Gazpacho Soup is your new summer recipe. It’s healthy and almost entirely made ahead of time. Try it with an Alvarhino wine from the Vinho Verde region in Portugal.
Gazpacho is the perfect summer soup. It requires no slaving away over the stove and it’s served chilled, which makes it super refreshing. Because of all of the Vinho Verde wines I’ve been enjoying lately, I was also inspired by Portuguese Soupa Verde Frio (Cold Green Soup) to put a green spin on gazpacho with tomatillos and leafy greens instead of tomatoes.
This gazpacho has another twist – it has bread it in! I recently enjoyed a a similar one at a local restaurant. I thought the bread added a really nice richness and made the super really special. It’s also super convenient because it’s marinated overnight meaning minimal prep at mealtime. I couldn’t resist trying it in this recipe, and the result was wonderful.
Alvarinho Contacto wine from Anselmo Mendes winery in the Vinho Verde region of Portugal is perfect for both making this soup and enjoying with it. It’s a 100% Alvarhino wine from the northern Monção and Melgaço area which is well known for this grape. It has a minerality and citrus notes with a slightly bitter finish that make it a great partner for the gazpacho. It’s also a great-value premium wine.
If you remember my recent panzanella salad post, Vinho Verde wines are super fun and unique. Many Vinho Verde wines are lower in alcohol which make them great for enjoying with a long meal or on a hot summer day. The unique climate of the region means you can find varietals of wine there that you can’t find anywhere else in the world. They are known for being refreshing and versatile – perfect for everything from a beach day with flip flops to a nice summer dinner with this gazpacho.
Thanks for reading A Side of Sweet! For more Sweet in your life, you can find me on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook, YouTube, Bloglovin’, Snapchat (@asideofsweet), or Twitter. You can also subscribe to receive a weekly email with new posts and random musings from me.
Chilled Green Gazpacho Soup is your new summer recipe. It's healthy and mostly made ahead of time. Try it with an Alvarhino wine from the Vinho Verde region in Portugal.
30 minPrep Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups whole grain bread, coarsely chopped
- 1 large English cucumber, coarsely chopped
- 6 tomatillos, husked and quartered
- 3 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- Large handful arugula
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon water or white wine
- Mint, for garnish
- Make the marinade by combining the Greek yogurt, white wine, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper
- Combine the bread and chopped vegetables in a large bowl and toss with the marinade. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Transfer ingredients to a blender, add water and blend on low for 30 seconds. Taste for salt and add as needed. Increase blender speed to high and blend for one minute until mixture is a smooth puree. Repeat as needed depending on the size of your blender.
- Chill at least four hours prior to serving. Drizzle with the thinned Greek yogurt and garnish with mint.
This post is sponsored by Vinho Verde wines. For more information check out their website at www.winesofvinhoverde.com. Thanks for supporting the sponsors that allow me to keep creating beautiful content!