There is nothing I love more than a good picnic. With the temperate weather here in Northern California, we can picnic year round! Pat and I have a secret picnic spot at Land’s End, which is a scenic cliff that overlooks the ocean on the westernmost part of the city. You can also see Golden Gate Bridge from Land’s End, if the fog isn’t too thick.
Pat and I packed a little picnic and headed to our spot to celebrate the holiday weekend. I wanted to pack a dish that was both healthy and easy to make, so I whipped up some homemade veggie pita sandwiches. These bad boys are super healthy – chock full of veggies and protein-packed with a chickpea mash. These are the perfect meal on the go – they do well out of the fridge for a few hours and have all your grains, veggies and healthy protein in one convenient handheld bundle. The rest of our spread was healthy snacks – cherries, guacamole, prosciutto, crackers, quince spread and water with mint. It was such a relaxing way to spend the afternoon – away from distractions just gazing out over the bay and listening to the waves crash against the shore.Print
Veggie Pita Sandwiches with Chickpea Mash
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: No bake
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- 2 cans (30 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 tsp herbes de provence
- 3 tablespoons tahini paste
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Fresh ground pepper
- 2 carrots, peeled and julienned or peeled into thin slices with a peeler
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted and halved
- 3 cups greens, microgreens or sprouts
- 4–6 pitas
- Place the chickpeas in a food processor and pulse 2-3 times to get a coarse mash.
- In a mixing bowl, toss the chickpeas, herbes de provence, tahini paste, lemon juice, red pepper flakes, feta, olive oil and fresh ground pepper to taste. Add water if it seems dry.
- Spread the mash liberally over one side of each pita. Add carrots, olives, greens.
Keywords: Pita Sandwich, Mediterranean, Healthy, Picnic