An easy and healthy recipe for vegan or vegetarian chickpea deli salad from the new the Sprouted Kitchen Bowl + Spoon cookbook. Makes a great main dish, picnic dish or dish to pass.
Simple and inspired whole foods recipes to savor and share.
That’s the tagline of the new Sprouted Kitchen Bowl + Spoon cookbook, and I’m so into it. As a longtime reader of the Sprouted Kitchen blog, I’ve made many of their delicious healthy recipes. I was so thrilled to find out Sara and Hugh were coming out with a second cookbook and even happier to get my hands on a copy to review.
As I flipped through the pages of the book, I wanted to make every recipe. There’s a nice mix of everything from starters to desserts, all, as you might guess based on the title, meant to be served in bowls. I settled on this chickpea deli salad recipe. It’s super healthy, fresh and versatile. It is naturally gluten free, raw and can be made vegetarian or vegan. I wasn’t disappointed. It was delicious and is one of those great dishes that gets better after a day or two in the fridge making it the perfect healthy snack to keep on hand or a made ahead dish to pass.
Sarah and Hugh, hats off to you on another amazing cookbook that we will be our go-to for quick healthy recipes.
Thanks so much for reading A Side of Sweet! For more Sweet in your life, you can find me on Instagram, Pinterest, Bloglovin’, Facebook or Twitter, or subscribe to receive a weekly email with new posts (see sidebar).
Chickpea Deli Salad from
An easy and healthy recipe for vegan or vegetarian chickpea deli salad from the new Sprouted Kitchen Bowl + Spoon cookbook. Makes a great main dish, picnic dish or dish to pass. Serves 2 as a meal or 4 as a snack.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: American
- 2 tablespoons veganaise or good-quality mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 to 3 celery stalks, finely diced
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas (or roughly one 15-ounce can, rinsed and drained)
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- In a large bowl, whisk together the veganaise, lemon juice, and few pinches of salt and pepper.
- Add the celery, red onion, and raisins to the dressing. Give the chickpeas a course chop and add them to the bowl along with the parsley and chives. Stir everything to mix well. Taste for salt and pepper and adjust as desired. Chill for at least 30 minutes for the flavors to blend. Salad will keep the refrigerator for one week.
Tip: Freshly canned beans work best because of their sturdier texture, but you can use canned too if you’re short on time. If you use canned chickpeas, it’s definitely worth peeling the skins off the beans (mind-numbing, but worth it!).
Recipe via Sprouted Kitchen Bowl + Spoon