I was organizing my archives and I realized I never shared this DIY for hanging twine balls that we made for our wedding! We used these as a decoration for our dance floor, and hung them from the rafters. This is a messy but very easy project with stunning results!
See the full project after the jump!
DIY Hanging Twine Balls
You will need:
Balloons of various sizes – we used 36 inch and 12 inch
Twine or yarn – I grabbed a roll of bailing twine from our local hardware store
Glue – link for bulk size
1. Blow up your balloons. It’s important to not blow them up too much as they will change from more of a sphere to an oval shape.
2. Hang your balloons up in an area where dripping glue won’t damage the floor. For us, that was our backyard. You could also cover your inside floor with newspapers.
3. Pour your glue into a bowl or a bucket. Dip the twine into the glue and run your fingers down the strand to make the glue even. We made the mistake of putting the glue on too thick for our balloons and had to use a scissors to cut off the glue globs!
4. Wrap the twine evenly around the balloon. If you need another twine to cover the balloon enough, repeat step 3 and tuck the new strand under the old to get started. No need to knot it as the glue will hold it all together.
5. Let the balls dry for a few hours or overnight. Pop the balloons and remove them from the twine balls.
6. Use a short string of twine to hang the finished twine balls!
Like I said…..messy but stunning!
See more of our wedding photos & DIYs:
DIY Hanging Twine Balls
First Look Wedding Photos, Part I
First Look Wedding Photos, Part II
Wedding Dance Party Photos
Wedding Details – Dessert Table & Table Decorations
Wedding Updo – How to Chalk Your Hair
Wedding Ceremony Pictures
Wedding Getting Ready Pictures
Vintage Drawer Pulls as Placecard Holders DIY
DIY Wedding Photobooth Setup with Printable
DIY Gilded Upcycled Plastic Cups
DIY Glitter Upcycled Silverware
DIY Honey Jar Wedding Favors
Rustic Wedding Cake Frosting Technique
Stuffed S’mores Cupcakes Recipe
DIY Glitter Swizzle Sticks
DIY Embossed Envelopes
Engagement Photos, Part I
Engagement Photos, Part II
Shashi @ RunninSrilankan says
What a fantastic idea these twine balls are!!!! And you are right – they are worth the mess! Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for reading!
Blend My Love says
Thanks for sharing. The turn out looked amazing for the wedding. Awesome photos.
Kelly @A Side of Sweet says
Thanks! It was such a fun day and they were such an easy thing to make!