Pat and I were originally headed out of town for a give day hike on Wednesday, so my intent was to sign off and leave you with this Persimmon Old Fashioned cocktail plus best wishes for the Thanksgiving holiday! It’s been really rainy here in San Francisco though, and as much as I love the outdoors, hiking in torrential downpour in Northern California is just not how I want to spend my favorite holiday!So I’m having Staycation round 2, with a little Friendsgiving action thrown in the mix. We also have some exciting life changes here at Casa Sweet that will be keeping us busy through the long weekend (spoiler alert: I’m not pregnant!).
Seriously though, I’m so thankful to everyone who reads A Side of Sweet for all the support, the comments, the emails and the general good vibes around here. It really makes all the hard work that goes into recipe development, photography, writing and keeping up with social media all worth it! You’re the best!
Thanks so much for reading A Side of Sweet! For more Sweet in your life, you can find me on Instagram, Pinterest, Bloglovin’, or Twitter, or subscribe to receive a weekly email with new posts (see sidebar).Print
Persimmon Old Fashioned Cocktail
An unique version of the classic old fashioned cocktail recipe – the persimmon old fashioned. Also includes a recipe for persimmon simple syrup.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 1
- Category: Drinks
- Method: No bake
- Cuisine: American
Persimmon Simple Syrup Ingredients:
- 2 ripe persimmons
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
Persimmon Old Fashioned Ingredients:
- 3 tablespoons persimmon simple syrup
- Pinch of cinnamon, ground ginger, nutmeg, and cloves
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 3 dashes of bitters
- 1/2 persimmon
- 2 ounces brandy or whiskey
- Ginger ale or soda water
- Persimmon peel, for garnish
- 2 cranberries, for garnish (optional)
- 1 orange slice, for garnish
- 1 cinnamon stick, for garnish
Make the Persimmon Simple Syrup
- Bring water, brown sugar and 1 persimmon, peeled and chopped in a small saucepan to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes. Strain and set aside to cool.
Make the Persimmon Old Fashioned:
- Combine 3 tablespoons of persimmon simple syrup, orange zest, bitters, 1/2 of one persimmon peeled and diced in a cocktail glass and muddle. Add brandy or whiskey and ice. Top with ginger ale or soda water
- Garnish with a curled piece of persimmon peel and cranberries and a cinnamon stick
Makes enough simple syrup for 2-3 cocktails.
P.S. – Looking for more cocktail recipes with exotic fruits? Try this passionfruit cocktail or mocktail: