Strawberries are the centerpiece of this simple but delicious rustic strawberry galette. Galettes are deceivingly simple to make and are the perfect brunch or dessert recipe.
During one of my rare weekends off in May, Pat and I had the chance to pay another visit the farm where our CSA (community supported agriculture, or farm shares) comes from. You might remember the last time we visited Eatwell Farm – to attend one of their famous tomato sauce canning parties!
Our visit coincided with one of Eatwell’s Strawberry Days. Strawberry days celebrate the start of strawberry season (yesssss!) and visitors to the farm get access to the strawberry fields for the day to pick as many berries as their stomachs can hold. There were also homemade picnic lunches, so we spread our blanket at the edge of the orchard and enjoyed the (almost) summer sun.
Eatwell is a pretty special place. The way they farm is beyond just organic – it’s a whole new way to create sustainable and environmentally responsible food. They don’t use any pesticides – organic or not. Instead, they focus on rotational farming and using natural ways to remove pests – like allowing chickens to roam in the fields. It was fun to get another look at where our food comes from and to see the farm this time of year.
It’s the beginning of the season, so there weren’t enough strawberries to take too many home, but we did have enough to make these seasonal strawberry mini galettes. Eatwell strawberries are more than just any old strawberry. They are juicy and sweet and the flavor is just perfect. A galette was the perfect way to show them off. The strawberries are truly the stars here, wrapped by flaky folded bits of pastry. It doesn’t take much to help them shine – just a bit of sugar and some vanilla.
I say this with all of my galette recipes, but don’t be intimidated by how pretty they are! Galettes are so easy to make, it will blow your mind. They are way easier than pies and people go crazy for them because they are so unique! You just fold the edges of the dough over, and you’re done!
P.S. – If you’re in the San Francisco Bay area and interested in starting a CSA farmshare subscription, use the code ‘EATWELL15’ at checkout to get 15% off your first four boxes!Print
Rustic Strawberry Galette Recipe
Strawberries are the centerpiece of this simple but delicious rustic strawberry galette. Galettes are deceivingly simple to make and make a great brunch or dessert recipe.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- Yield: 6
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: French
For the galette dough:
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup ice cold water
- To make it gluten free – use this recipe
For the strawberry galettes:
- 1 1/2 pounds of fresh strawberries, hulled and halved or sliced
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 vanilla bean, halved and seeds scraped
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon of water
Make the galette dough:
- Combine the flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl.
- Cut in the cubed butter with a pastry cutter until mostly pea-sized pieces of remain. You can also use a food processor and pulse a few times until combined. Do not over mix.
- Sprinkle the ice water over the flour mixture 1-2 tablespoons at a time and stir with a butter knife to distribute. Mix the mixture with your hands until it starts to come together in a coarse ball. Sprinkle the dry bits with more water and bring together into a ball.
- Divide the dough into four equal balls. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour, up to overnight.
Make the strawberry filling:
- Toss the strawberries, sugar, cornstarch, salt, lemon zest and vanilla bean seeds in a medium sized bowl and let sit for at least 15 minutes. The berries will release juice which will keep your galette from being watery.
Assemble the strawberry galette:
- Roll a ball of galette dough onto a floured surface into 8-inch rounds. Transfer to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Taking care to leave any released liquid behind, place 1/4 of the strawberry mixture in the center of the flattened dough, leaving 1 inch on each side. Gently fold up the crust over part of the strawberries in an overlapping fashion. Repeat with the other dough rounds.
- Whisk the egg white and water and brush liberally on the galette crust. Sprinkle with raw sugar.
- Bake at 400° F for 35 to 45 minutes until crust is golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature.
P.S. – This recipe post was initially published in May 2015. I hope you enjoy these updated photos! Curious as to what my photography was like two years ago? Here’s a photo from the original post: