Physicians talk a lot about moderation. This recipe has moderate amounts of sugar, fat, and alcohol – which makes it the perfect dessert, right? These banana bourbon cupcakes are definitely worth the splurge. Plus, you get bonus healthy points for the bananas, which must count for something…
I made these cupcakes to celebrate the birthday of one of my fellow residents so that basically makes them doctor recommended! Ermmm…yeah…
Banana Bourbon CupcakesPrint
Banana Bourbon Cupcakes
- Prep Time: 60 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 14-16
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
For the banana cupcakes:
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup loosely packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 3 large ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup chocolate chips
For the Bourbon Buttercream:
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-3 tablespoons bourbon
For the Bourbon Ganache:
- 4 ounces chocolate, chopped
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- 1/2 cup crushed toffee pieces (I used Heath chips), for finishing
Make the Banana Cupcakes:
- Combine the egg and brown sugar, mixing until smooth. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Add sour cream and melted butter.
- Combine flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a bowl and then add to above.
- Add mashed bananas and milk and stir until mixture is just combined. Do not over mix! The batter will be slightly thick.
- Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners. Using an ice cream scoop or 1/4 cup measuring cup, scoop batter into cupcake liners until 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake at 350° Fahrenheit for 20-22 minutes. Let cool completely before frosting.
- Beat butter until smooth and creamy.
- With the mixer on low, gradually add powdered sugar until combined.
- Add vanilla and 2 tablespoons bourbon. Increase mixer speed to medium-high and beat until fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Add more bourbon if the mixture is too thick or you want a stronger bourbon taste.
Bourbon Chocolate Ganache:
- Heat heavy cream until just hot. When bubbles are appearing on the edges, remove from heat and pour over chocolate. Stir constantly until the chocolate is melted and smooth.
- To make the cupcake design that I used, pour the ganache on a plate and gently swirl one side of your banana bourbon cupcake upside down over the ganache.
- Because I love toffee, I also sprinkled the bourbon ganache with some toffee pieces before the ganache set.
Adapted From How Sweet Eats
Keywords: Cupcake, Banana, Bourbon, Dessert, Cake
Don’t forget to enter my Chobani Yogurt giveaway! The giveaway closes on Friday!