Physicians talk a lot about moderation. This recipe has moderate amounts of sugar, fat and alcohol – which makes it the perfect dessert, right? These banana bourbon cupcakes are definitely worth the splurge. Plus, you get bonus healthy points for the bananas, which must count for something….
I made these cupcakes to celebrate the birthday of one of my fellow residents, so that basically makes them doctor recommended! Ermmm…yeah…
Banana Bourbon CupcakesPrint
Banana Bourbon Cupcakes
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 14
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
[i]For the banana cupcakes:[/i]
- 1 1/3 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 c. loosely packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 large ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1/4 c. sour cream
- 1/2 c. melted butter
- 1/3 c. milk
- 1 c. chocolate chips
- 1/2 c. crushed toffee pieces (I used Heath chips)
[i]For the Bourbon Buttercream:[/i]
- 1 c. unsalted butter
- 4 c. powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2-3 T. bourbon
[i]For the Bourbon Ganache:[/i]
- 4 oz chocolate, chopped
- 3 T. heavy cream
- 1 T. bourbon
[i]Make the Banana Cupcakes:[/i]
- Combine the egg and brown sugar, mixing until smooth. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Add sour cream and melted butter.
- Combine flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg in a bowl and then add to above.
- Add mashed bananas and milk and stir until mixture is just combined. Do not over mix! Batter will be slightly thick.
- Using an ice cream scoop or 1/4 c. measuring cup, scoop batter in liners until 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake at 350 degrees F in a muffin tin with cupcake liners for 15-18 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Beat butter until smooth and creamy.
- With mixer on low,, gradually add powdered sugar until combined.
- Add vanilla and 2 T. bourbon. Increase mixer speed to medium-high and beat until fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Add more bourbon if the mixture is too thick or you want a stronger bourbon taste.
[i]Bourbon Chocolate Ganache[/i]
- Heat heavy cream until just hot. When bubbles are appearing on the edges, remove from heat and pour over chocolate. Stir constantly until the chocolate is melted and smooth.
- To make the cupcake design that I used, pour the ganache on a plate and gently swirl one side of your banana bourbon cupcake upside down over the ganache. Because I love toffee, I also sprinkled the bourbon ganache with some toffee pieces before the ganache set, just like Jessica recommended.
Adapted From How Sweet Eats
Don’t forget to enter my Chobani Yogurt giveaway! The giveaway closes on Friday!