This incredible homemade nachos recipe is topped with brussels sprouts, roasted corn queso and beet crema. My mouth is watering just thinking about it!
Eating the rainbow never tasted so good!
Did anyone else grow up hearing the phrase “eating the rainbow” in the context of making healthy choices? The idea was that fruits and vegetables with bright colors are often healthier. Although this doesn’t always apply (rainbow sugar cookies I’m looking at you) it is a decent and fun rule to live by.
Read on for the brussels sprouts nachos recipe…
You are truly eating the rainbow with these nachos, and they actually manage to be relatively healthy – at least for nachos that are typically an unhealthy food option. They also manage to make some historically ‘gross’ foods like brussels sprouts and beets appealing to any picky eater. How can you resist a platter of food that looks like abstract art?
Diego Pops, Scottsdale Brussels Sprouts Nachos
This recipe is inspired by one of my favorite restaurants in Scottsdale, Diego Pops. This fun and colorful Mexican restaurant hit it out of the park with everything from snow cone cocktails to these amazing nachos. It was one of the most memorable and fun meals that we had on a trip full of memorable and amazing meals!
I say ‘inspired by’ because I reached out to the restaurant to ask if they would share the recipe I was told it was top-secret. Alas, I had to go about creating my own version so I can get my fix without the plane ride to Scottsdale.
As you can see, they look pretty similar other than their beet crema being a paler pink. I love the natural hot pink color (isn’t nature wonderful!?) but you could decrease the beet to sour cream ratio to achieve their equally pretty color.
How to Make Nacho Cheese Sauce from Scratch
This homemade nacho cheese sauce features a blend of Mexican queso fresco, shredded white cheddar, and cream cheese to give it a thick and creamy texture that you’ll love. Adding roasted corn takes it to the next level.
Why This is the Best Homemade Nachos Recipe
- The colors alone are unbelievable. This rainbow dish is a feast for the eyes – and the belly!
- They are equal parts guilty pleasure and healthy thanks to the roasted vegetables.
- The creamy cheese sauce with roasted corn is seriously BOMB. I dare you to not eat it by the spoonful.
- This recipe is inspired by Diego Pops in Scottsdale – just check out their yelp page. The nachos are mentioned in 220 out of 940 reviews!
Homemade Nachos Recipe with Brussels Sprouts & Beet Crema
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 10 servings 1x
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 1 small beet
- 1 bulb (head) fresh garlic
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
Mexican Corn Queso Ingredients
- 1 ear corn, shucked
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- 1 cup queso fresco
- 4 ounces (½ package) cream cheese
- ¼ cup heavy cream
Roasted Brussels Sprouts Ingredients
- 1 pound brussels sprouts, ends trimmed and outer leaves removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
Brussels Sprouts Nachos Ingredients
- 1 bag (about 14 ounces) tortilla chips
- Roasted brussels sprouts (recipe below)
- Mexican corn queso (recipe below)
- 6–8 sweet mini peppers*, thinly sliced
- ½ cup picked red onion
- Beet crema (recipe below)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1–2 eggs
- Fresh lime, for serving
Make Beet Crema
- Preheat oven to 400° Fahrenheit
- Wrap beet and roast for 40-60 minutes, until fork tender.
- At the same time, wrap the garlic in tinfoil and roast for 40 minutes.
- Remove peel from roasted beet once cool. The peel should slide right off if you use a rubbing motion with your thumbs. Peel garlic.
- Combine beet, garlic, sour cream, lime juice and salt in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Beet crema can be made in advance. Will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days.
Make Mexican Corn Queso
- Rub corn with butter and wrap in foil. Roast at 400° Fahrenheit for 25-30 minutes. Once cool to touch, cut corn kernels from cob.
- Heat cheddar cheese, queso fresco, cream cheese and heavy cream in a medium saucepan. Stir in roasted corn. Leave cheese sauce in saucepan until all nacho ingredients are ready for assembly, then heat again so it is easy to spoon onto your nachos.
Make Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Toss brussels sprouts with olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast at 400° Fahrenheit for 30-45 minutes, tossing brussels sprouts halfway for even browning. Brussels sprouts should be dark brown in spots when done.
Assemble Brussels Sprouts Nachos
- Spread tortilla chips in a large tray.
- Layer on roasted brussels sprouts.
- Spoon mexican corn queso over chips.
- Layer on peppers and pickled red onion.
- Spoon beet crema into a ziplock bag or piping bag and snip the corner off. Pipe the beet crema over the nachos.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Crack eggs and slip into pan 1 at a time. Reduce heat to low and cook until whites and yolk are completely set. Slide out of pan onto nachos.
- Serve immediately with sliced lime.
*If you can’t find sweet mini peppers, you can substitute colored bell peppers sliced thinly.
Keywords: Mexican Food, Nachos, Brussels Sprouts, Nachos Recipe
Craving homemade brussels sprouts nachos? Pin this recipe for later!