Add a touch of magic to your next party with unicorn ice cream cones! They are made with real edible gold and colorful white chocolate dipped ice cream cones.
Unicorn desserts are everywhere, but these unicorn ice cream cones are a luxurious take on this whimsical trend. Believe it or not, they are completely edible, even the brilliant gold horns.
Read on for the unicorn ice cream cones recipe…
Make Chocolate Dipped Ice Cream Cones
I used candy melts to make the chocolate dipped ice cream cones. You can buy them in almost any color.
Melt the candy melts according to package instructions. Add vegetable oil or coconut oil to thin the melts. When they are the ideal consistency the chocolate should be runny and drip off the spoon in a steady stream.
Combine all candy melts in one bowl that is slightly larger than the diameter of your larger waffle cones.
Gently swirl the ice cream cone in the chocolate until the rim is coated. To get the dripping effect, hold the cone upright and shake it up and down. If it doesn’t drip, you may need to add more oil to your candy melts. I recommend trying this with a solid color before combining them to make sure you have the right consistency.
A dish or pot filled with coffee beans is a great “drying rack” for the ice cream cones.
Make Edible Gold Ice Cream Cones
I love, love, love, love, love adding edible gold leaf to desserts to make them truly special. Edible gold leaf is not cheap, but a little bit goes a long way! In the case of these unicorn ice cream cones, I used about three sheets per cone making the cost per cone about $4.50. A more budget-friendly and easier option is edible gold spray paint. It won’t look quite as luxe, but it is much easier to do many cones this way.
I found the best technique for this is to gently touch two corners and lift the sheet up. Gently drape it on the cone and then pat it until it adheres to the cone. Sorry the above photo is blurry but hopefully you get the idea.
If you are having trouble getting the gold leaf to stick to the cone, try moistening the surface a tiny bit with a damp paper towel.
Why these Unicorn Ice Cream Cones are the Best
- Edible gold leaf is truly luxurious and makes everything better.
- White chocolate dipped ice cream cones in rainbow colors are easy to make.
- They are the perfect birthday party recipe for any age! 🙂
- The ice cream cones can be decorated ahead of time making party prep easy.
- The gilded ice cream cones technique would also make a great topper for a unicorn cake.
Magical Unicorn Ice Cream Cones
Add a touch of magic to your next party with unicorn ice cream cones! They are made with real edible gold and colorful chocolate dipped ice cream cones.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 3 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Microwave
- Cuisine: American
- Melt candy melts according to package instructions. Add vegetable oil or coconut oil a few teaspoons at a time to thin. In order to get the dripping effect on the cones, the melts need to be thin enough to run off the spoon in a steady stream.
- Combine all candy melts in one bowl just slightly larger than the diameter of your larger ice cream cones.
- Dip the ice cream cone into chocolate and gently swirl to make a marbleized effect. To create the dripping effect, hold the cone upright and gently shake it up and down.
- Add more candy melts to the bowl as needed.
- A deep bowl or pot filled with coffee beans makes a great drying rack for the cones.
Make the Edible Gold Ice Cream Cones:
- Pick up two corners of an edible gold sheet. Gently drape gold leaf onto the smaller ice cream cones. If you are having trouble getting it to adhere, you can use a damp paper towel to ever so slightly moisten the surface of the cone.
Assemble the Unicorn Ice Cream Cones:
- Fill each dipped cone with vanilla ice cream. Top with golden mini ice cream cone.
* Tip: I purchased large waffle cones from a local ice cream parlor for only $1 each!
**These cones are quite expensive and according to reviews on Amazon, often come broken. I used small (not mini) ice cream cones that I found at Safeway. The brand was Edward & Sons. The gluten free cones (labeled Let’s Do Gluten Free) were slightly smaller than the organic cones (labeled Let’s Do Organic).
Keywords: Unicorn, Birthday Party, Ice Cream, Gold
P.S. – Loving these Unicorn Ice Cream Cones? Pin this recipe for later!
Unicorn Birthday Party Ideas
Need more Unicorn Party Ideas? Try these Unicorn Oreos:
Or how about Unicorn Toast?