These delicious Millionaire bars are every bit as decadent as the name suggests. They could be the love child of a lemon bar and a scotcharoo. The shortbread base is sweet and butter, and then they are layered with caramelized sweetened condensed milk followed by a layer of melted chocolate. Nom.
Although you end up with quite a few dirty dishes with this recipe, overall this recipe is pretty straightforward. They also keep well in the fridge for 3-4 days, which is convenient! I was able to make them over the weekend and then take them to work without any issues.
Thanks so much for reading A Side of Sweet! For more Sweet in your life, you can find me on Instagram, Pinterest, Bloglovin’, Facebook, or Twitter, or subscribe to receive a weekly email with new posts (see sidebar).Print
Millionaire Bars Recipe
- Category: Dessert
For the Shortbread
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1 1/4 c. (2 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter softened
- 2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 large egg yolk, slightly beaten
For the Caramel filling
- 28 ounces sweetened condensed milk (two 14-ounce cans)
- 6 ounces dark chocolate (60% cacao), coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened, cut into cubes
Sea salt, to sprinkle over top
For the shortbread:
- Beat the sugar and butter together until blended. Add 2 cups of the flour and the salt and beat until well combined. Add the egg yolk and beat until just combined.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured work surface. Dust the top of the dough and your hands with flour. Gently work the dough into a 6×6″ square, sprinkling with additional flour as necessary. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of flour onto the dough. Fold the dough over and knead until incorporated, then flatten into a rectangle.
- Transfer the dough into a 9×13″ buttered baking dish and press it into the pan in an even layer. Prick all over with a fork.
- Bake in the middle rack of the oven for 20 to 22 minutes at 350F, until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.
For the caramel filling:
- Put the sweetened condensed milk in a large microwave-safe bowl. Cook on 50% power (medium) for 4 minutes, stirring briskly halfway through, until smooth. Decrease the power to 30% (medium-low) for 12-18 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes, until it is very thick and caramel colored.
- Pour the caramel filling over the cooled shortbread and place the pan in the refrigerator until cool, at least two hours.
For the chocolate layer:
- Melt the chocolate, corn syrup, and butter in the microwave until completely smooth.
- Pour the mixture over the chilled caramel layer and spread it into an even layer. Let the layer set slightly (about 2 minutes or so) and then sprinkle with sea salt. Put in the refrigerator for 1 hour, or until it hardens.
- Remove the pan from the refrigerator 30 minutes before serving so as not to crack the chocolate layer. Cut into squares and serve. They can be stored in the refrigerator, tightly covered, for up to 4 days.
Adapted from Poppytalk