This roasted delicata squash recipe is the perfect easy holiday side dish. It’s packed with flavor from cayenne, pomegranates, Real California Queso Fresco and lime crema.
Roasted Delicata Squash
Can I just say I’ve been loving delicata squash in a big way this year?
It’s truly the unsung hero of squashes. This beautiful little vegetable doesn’t need to be peeled.
I think the last time I tried to peel a butternut squash I actually got blisters, so this is beyond huge. It’s packed with flavor, but doesn’t overpower a dish. Instead it serves as a ready canvas for the amazing ingredients in this recipe, including pomegranates, Queso Fresco and a lime yogurt crema. Add in a pinch of spices and your mouth is truly in for a treat.
Read on the roasted delicata squash recipe…
Real California Queso Fresco
I love experimenting with new cheeses when we cook. I’ve really been loving Queso Fresco as an alternative to feta cheese. It crumbles really nicely and adds a bright and fresh finish to the roasted delicata squash in this recipe.
We always look for the Real California Milk seal when we’re choosing dairy products. California is a leading producer of Hispanic-style cheeses like Queso Fresco. Not many people know that our cheesemaking history goes back as long as our history making wine. California is the number one dairy state and 99% of California dairies are family owned. It feels good to support these farmers, and in return have all of this amazing food to share on our holiday table.
Add some Real California Milk to your holiday table! You can use the product locator to find products at a store near you. For more nutrition information and healthy recipe ideas, visit RealCaliforniaMilk.com.
Make Ahead Holiday Side Dish
To save time on the day of your party, I highly recommend cutting the delicata squash the night before. After removing the seeds and slicing it, put it in an airtight container in the fridge. When you are ready to cook, you’ll literally have 5 minutes of prep time. You can also make the lime crema in advance to make things even easier. I’m always looking for ways to cut down on the hassle in the kitchen and this recipe is perfect for that!
Why this Roasted Delicata Squash is the best:
- This beautiful dish will add a pop of color to your holiday table.
- It’s made with natural ingredients including Real California yogurt and queso fresco.
- This side dish is vegetarian and gluten-free.
- It takes just a few minutes to put together. The delicata squash and lime crema can be prepped the day before to make things even easier.
Roasted Delicata Squash Recipe – Easy Holiday Side Dish
This roasted delicata squash recipe is the perfect easy holiday side dish. It’s packed with flavor from cayenne, pomegranates, Queso Fresco and lime crema.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Roasted Delicata Squash Ingredients
- 4 delicata squash
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup + 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ + ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ cup crumbled Queso Fresco
- ¼ cup pomegranate arils
- Cilantro, for serving
Lime Crema Ingredients:
- ½ cup yogurt
- ½ tsp lime juice
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 400° Fahrenheit.
- Cut the delicata squash in half crosswise.* Use a spoon to remove the seeds and soft pulp. Set the seeds aside. Slice the squash in ½-inch slices crosswise.
- Mix the maple syrup, olive oil, cumin, salt, cayenne and paprika in a large bowl. Add the delicata squash and toss until coated.
- Spread the delicata squash on two parchment paper lined baking sheets.
- Wash the squash seeds and let drain. Toss with 1 teaspoon olive oil and ¼ teaspoon kosher salt. Spread out on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Roast delicata squash for 30-35 minutes, flipping once halfway.
- Roast seeds for 5-10 minutes. Be careful to check on them, as they burn quickly.
- Before serving, combine the delicata squash, seeds, pomegranate arils and queso fresco on a serving platter. Drizzle with lime crema and top with chopped cilantro.
Make the Lime Crema:
- Combine the yogurt, lime juice and salt in a small bowl and whisk until smooth.
*Multiple steps in this recipe can be done ahead to save time. The delicata squash can be sliced and seeded and stored in an airtight container in the fridge overnight. The lime cream will keep 2-3 days in the fridge in an airtight container. Even the delicata squash seeds can be roasted in advance.
Keywords: Delicata Squash Recipe, Roasted Delicata Squash, Easy Holiday Side Dish
This post is a partnership with Real California Milk. Thank you for supporting the sponsors that allow me to bring you beautiful content!
P.S. – Craving this healthy and beautiful holiday side dish? Pin this recipe for later!