Spicy potato skins are SO good and they’re healthier than french fries. Dip them in a spicy Greek yogurt dip for the ultimate party recipe. Enjoy with a Vinho Verde wine from Portugal.
French fries are trouble. I used to waitress in college and french fries were my nemesis. It’s literally impossible for me to stop eating them and I gained five pounds within the first few months of starting.
These spicy potato skins bring me back to my service industry days. Not only do they taste great and with just a bit of oil and absolutely no frying, but they also aren’t quite as bad for you either. Good thing, because they are just as hard to resist as a plateful of fries.
Making Spicy Potato Skins
By using a traditional Portuguese spice blend to season them, I gave these potatoes a fun twist. This spice blend gives them this really fun extra kick of flavor. Serve them with a two-ingredient spicy greek yogurt dip that is a fun contrast of cool creaminess with an unexpected kick of its own.
Wine That Pairs Well With Spicy Side Dishes
As with the other recipes in my Vinho Verde wine series, I’ve chosen a bottle of wine for you to enjoy as you eat these spicy potato wedges. Portal da Calçada from Adegado Salvador is just one more example of a fantastic value wine from the Vinho Verde region. The best Alvarinho, Loureiro, and Arinto grapes on the vineyard’s property were carefully selected, destemmed and gently pressed. They are then aged for 9 months in French oak barrels resulting in an elegant and persistent aroma with a great minerality that holds up well against the Portuguese seasoning mix.
With crisp acidity and just 12% ABV, it’s a great wine for drinking outdoors with a summer meal. If you’re looking for a refreshing and versatile summer wine, look no further.
Thanks for reading A Side of Sweet! For more Sweet in your life, you can find me on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook, YouTube, Bloglovin’, Snapchat (@asideofsweet), or Twitter. You can also subscribe to receive a weekly email with new posts and random musings from me.Print
Spicy Potato Skins with Spicy Greek Yogurt Dip
Spicy potato skins are SO good and they’re healthier than french fries. Dip them in a spicy Greek yogurt dip for the ultimate party recipe. Naturally gluten-free.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Category: Side
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
For the spicy potato skins:
- 2 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon ginger
- Pinch cloves
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes
- 1 tablespoon oil
For the spicy Greek yogurt dip:
- Sea salt for finishing
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1-2 teaspoons chili paste
- Combine paprika, pepper, chile powder, oregano, ginger, and cloves in a small bowl and set aside.
- Pierce unpeeled potatoes with a fork and bake in the oven for 50 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit, flipping halfway.
- Once cool enough to handle, slice each potato into quarters. Use a paring knife to remove the potato flesh except for about 1/4 inch.
- Brush wedges with oil and sprinkle with seasoning mix. Flip and repeat on the other side.
- Place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with sea salt and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 min, flip and bake for another 15-20 min until golden and slightly crisp.
- Combine 1 cup Greek yogurt and chili paste to taste to make a Greek yogurt dip and serve.
Keywords: spicy potato skins, homemade potato skins, easy potato side dish
Thanks to Vinho Verde Wines for sponsoring this post. Also a big thanks to you for supporting the sponsors that allow me to keep bringing you beautiful content!