I just finished up two months of working with kids with cancer. It’s been an extremely intense and emotional time, but overwhelmingly rewarding. I’ve been with families as they hear that the reason that their child just hasn’t been acting right is because he has leukemia and also with families who get the news that the cancer is back and the medicines we have just won’t work for their child. I’ve watched people ring our treatment completion bell and watched the hospital staff’s eyes well with tears of joy at the moment. I’ve heard that no matter how many times you hear the bell ring, it’s nearly impossible to not be overcome with emotion. And truthfully, I’ve loved every minute. It’s such a privilege to care for a child with cancer – and their families.
On a lighter note, I have an amazing appetizer that is as easy to make as it is pretty! All you have to do is reduce some balsamic vinegar and slice some pears. The tartness of the balsamic and blackberries and the earthiness of the cheese are perfectly balanced by the sweetness of the pear. I also won’t tell if you just eat them as a snack, as I did.
Thanks so much for reading A Side of Sweet! For more Sweet in your life, you can find me on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook, Bloglovin’, or Twitter, or subscribe to receive a weekly email with new posts (see sidebar).Print
Gorgonzola Pear Pita Cracker Bites
An easy to make appetizer with Gorgonzola cheese, pear, blackberries and honey that is sure to impress your guests!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Total Time: 23 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 4 ounces high-quality Gorgonzola cheese (I love Salemville)
- 18 crackers or pita chips
- 1 pear, thinly sliced, then cut in half crosswise
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 18 blackberries
- In a small saucepan on medium heat, reduce the balsamic vinegar until thick, to about 1/4 of its original volume. Watch carefully as it can easily burn.
- Cut the Gorgonzola cheese into 18 bite-sized chunks.
- Spoon a dab of balsamic onto each pita cracker. Top with Gorgonzola cheese and pear. Drizzle with honey and finish each appetizer with a blackberry.
Keywords: gorgonzola pear appetizer, pear balsamic recipes, appetizer finger foods