These 200 calorie chewy vegan oatmeal cookies make me feel like a world without butter could be a world I could get used to. Almond flour adds the perfect texture and keeps them moist and a dollop of jam is the perfect finish.
You may have noticed that I’m not vegan.
Not even a little. (Ahem, spicy bacon caramel popcorn anyone?) I love vegan food though and am always looking for ways to reduce my consumption of animal based products. Vegan desserts though never seem to live up to the real thing.
My friend Nalini brought these chewy vegan oatmeal cookies to a Monday Macro dinner in Palo Alto (unfortunately now defunct) and they blew.my.mind. Soft and tender goodness topped off with a dab of homemade jam. Talk about amazing – no bacon (or butter for that matter) needed. I demanded the recipe on the spot.
I’m not an expert in using non-gluten flours, but after grinding almonds to make a coarse almond flour I want to try it in other recipes! It gives the cookies a great crumbly texture while still keeping them moist! None of that “thunk hitting my stomach like a brick” feeling that you might associate with vegan desserts. They will definitely satisfy even the most hardcore meat eater in your life. I will definitely make these cookies again and again – and not just because they are vegan.
Also, if you’re looking for a great vegan beauty option, I’m loving the lip & cheek tints from Lilah B. Their beauty products are cruelty free, have a beautiful design and they are based right outside of San Francisco!
Thanks so much for reading A Side of Sweet! For more Sweet in your life, you can find me on Instagram, Pinterest, Snapchat (@asideofsweet), Bloglovin’, Facebook, or Twitter, or subscribe to receive a weekly email with new posts (see sidebar).Print
Chewy Vegan Oatmeal Cookies Recipe
These chewy vegan oatmeal cookies make me feel like a world without butter could be a world I could get used to. Almond flour adds the perfect texture and keeps them moist and a dollop of jam is the perfect finish.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 36 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- 2 cups whole almonds
- 4 cups quick-cooking or old fashioned oats
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup of the jam of your choice
- Process the almonds in a food processor until they are slightly more coarse than almond flour. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Process the oats and salt in the food processor (no need to clean the bowl) until they form a meal.
- Mix the almonds, oats and flour together.
- Add the canola oil and maple syrup.
- Let the dough sit for 15 minutes to firm up. Form them into whole walnut-shaped balls and place onto a cookie sheet. Make an indentation in the top of each cookie and fill with a dollop of jam. You can also add a slivered or whole almond.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit or until the edges brown slightly. Cool on a wire rack.
P.S. – This post is an update from one I originally shared in October 2012 – wayyy back when I first started sharing recipes! Wondering what my photography was like five years ago? Here’s a photo from the original post.
Craving these delicious vegan cookies? Pin this recipe for later!