The perfect molten chocolate lava cake recipe for two just in time for Valentine’s day! Can be made ahead for easy serving as a romantic Valentine’s day dessert.
Mmmm, is there anything more decadent than a chocolate cake with warm runny chocolatey goodness on the inside? Talk about heaven in every bite!
We never go out to eat for Valentine’s day. I can’t even imagine spending the night eating out on such a busy holiday! Instead we enjoy the luxury of time together at home making a meal together. It’s a win-win – we don’t have to spend money on expensive prix fix Valentine’s menus and we get to do our favorite thing together – cook.
This year we’re definitely making my super easy bright pink salmon recipe (only 8 minutes, can you believe it?). We’ll be ending the meal in style with these molten chocolate lava cakes.
I scaled this recipe to make two perfect servings that can be baked in standard 4-ounce ramekins. This recipe is ideal for a home cooked Valentine’s day dinner as it can be made the day of or the night before and popped in the oven directly from the fridge. There is no need to let it come to room temperature. Perfection.
What are you doing for Valentine’s day this year? Do you like to go out and have a date night on the town? Are you hosting a Galentine’s Day fête? Avoiding the holiday altogether? Or will you be enjoying a cozy meal at home like us?
Molten Chocolate Lava Cake Recipe for Two – Valentine’s Dessert
The perfect molten chocolate lava cake recipe for two just in time for Valentine’s day! Can be made ahead for easy serving as a romantic Valentine’s day dessert!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 7 minutes
- Total Time: 22 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Chocolate Lava Cake Ingredients
- ¼ c. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 oz. high quality chocolate
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 2 T. sugar
- 1 tsp. flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 T. cocoa powder, sifted
- ½ T. melted unsalted butter for coating
- Powdered sugar for finishing
- Preheat oven to 450° Fahrenheit.*
- Melt the butter and chocolate in the microwave using 30 second intervals.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg, egg yolk and sugar until pale and thick, about 1 minute.
- Add the egg mixture, flour and salt to the chocolate mixture and stir to combine.
- Coat 2 ramekins with butter and dust with cocoa. Don’t leave any uncoated spots as the cake will stick! If you are making these ahead, you can transfer them to the fridge.*
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for 7-9 minutes until the cake has rounded and puffed up a bit the tops are barely set and the center still looks wet. Underbaked is better than overbaked. Remove from oven and let sit for 1 minute. Place serving plate on top of ramekin and flip both pieces over so ramekin is upside down. Let sit for 10 seconds before removing ramekin.
- Serve with a dusting of powdered sugar or ice cream.
This recipe can easily be made ahead up to the night before. You can transfer directly from the fridge, just add 2 minutes to the cooking time.
Keywords: molten chocolate lava cake recipe, homemade lava cake, easy lava cake recipe, best lava cake recipe, homemade molten chocolate lava cake, easy molten chocolate lava cake, best molten chocolate lava cake recipe, valentines day dessert, homemade valentines day dessert
Craving this molten chocolate lava cake? Pin it for later!