2014 has been an amazing year for A Side of Sweet! Traffic around here has more than doubled and I’ve had my recipes pop up everywhere from A Fabulous Fete to the Huffington Post.
Even more important than that though, is the increased engagement and connectedness I feel with the community I’ve built around A Side of Sweet. I’m talking every comment, every email and every hashtag. At the end of the day, that’s why I blog. It’s about a sense of community – and y’all are truly the best darn thing.
People ask how I manage a busy ‘real life’ job with the time commitment that blogging takes. I always give the same answer – it’s so much fun to contribute to this amazing online community and connect with people across the world. I feel like I’m getting energy from blogging instead of expending it. So thank you, and here’s to so much more fun in 2015!
Without further ado, here are the top recipes and DIYs this year:
10. Millionaire Bars: Ooey, gooey and perfectly decadent. A shortbread crust and the ingredient that makes anything better – sweetened condensed milk. One of my favorite desserts to pass – and you agreed!
9. Baked French Toast with Chai Candied Pecans: Definitely worth getting out of bed early for! Thanks to this make ahead recipe, you don’t have to though! Do most of the work the night before.
8. Pefectly Chewy Homemade Soft Pretzels: Boiled in a baking soda wash, these pretzels are sure to please on gameday or as an after school snack.
7. Honey Sea Salt Popcorn: A healthy snack recipe that is the perfect mix of salty and sweet.
6. Easy DIY Elastic Hair Ties: It blows my mind how expensive these are to buy. Make a handful in seconds for just pennies. They make a great party favor.
5. Homemade Whipped Body Butter: So decadent and does wonders for your skin! My bare legs don’t leave home without it – it’s like do it yourself airbrushing!
4. Smoky Sweet Potato Black Bean Tacos: Healthy and chock full of flavor. One of my all time favorite dinner recipes. You can also see how I made the soft taco shells hold their shape as I take you behind the scenes of food blogging.
3. Healthy Homemade Fruit Snacks: Skip all the nasty additives and make your own fruit snacks with just gelatin and juice! No corn syrup needed here.
2. Black Cherry Buttermilk Ice Cream: Once you add buttermilk to your ice cream, you’ll never go back. Perfectly tangy and with the addition of black cherries, so pretty to look at!
1. Vegetarian Ramen Bowls: Thanks to a shoutout by the Huffington Post, this was my most popular post of 2014! I’m obsessed with ramen and this recipe is better than anything I ate in a restaurant this year. Definitely my favorite recipe of the year too!